Set the stage
Setting a nice table isn’t just for guests! In fact, having some nice lighting and a good atmosphere might actually help you eat slower, eat less, and yet enjoy food more. Even if it’s not every night, you can easily invest in a few key products to up the ambiance and make things more functional.
- Cloth napkins – eco friendly, reusable, and double as polishing cloths! If they’re lightly used, you don’t have to wash after every meal…keep a set for everyday use and one for company.
- Heat-resistant placemats – these are perfect for catching crumbs, sauces, and protecting your table from hot plates. I like to pop mine in the dishwasher when messes happen!
- Candles – shameless self promotion here, but why not light a candle for dinner on a Tuesday? There’s something about candlelight that changes the energy of a room, and brings it to a more relaxed, reverent place.
- An attractive table caddy – practical and pretty, having a spot for extra utensils, salt & pepper, and a few extra napkins in case of spills makes clean up easy. Especially recommended for families!
- Washable, patterened table cloth – I love a stark, white tablecloth as much as the next person, but they’re just not practical for daily use. Pick a pattern with a variety of tones or a bold pattern so that a few crumbs or small spills won’t be noticeable.
Any table items you use that I missed here? Let me know! And remember – there are few things more important for families than having dinner together regularly. So sit down and start a conversation!